Thursday, December 28, 2006

Where can I go to become a food monk?

It's at times like these, during weeks like these that I am torn between two worlds. One is the world of the real restaurant worker. Cursing, slinging food, getting the job done as quick as you can, just working for the end of shift. Where there's a whiskey sitting next to it's friend beer and they're babysitting a pack of smokes just for you. I gave most of that up, except for the occasional relapse. It dulls the senses, it slows down my head and generally makes me feel like shit. Feeling like shit is not conducive to fast, efficient, precise work. That is were the other world lies. An idealistic world were I can exist solely in a kitchen; there for nothing more than the execution of perfect food. It's a place without the worry of critics, without the stress of pulling two jobs, stretching myself too thin. Some mystical place where I go to sleep in silence and wake to nothing more than the sun. Where product comes fresh daily and is nothing but ideal. It would be a precious place where one could simply practice and execute technique. Working on precision and end results without the pressure of getting from one job to the next. It wouldn't pay the rent or student loans. It would isolate me even further from my social networks. It would leave me isolated from the real world of food and the restaurant business. Damn that sounds good sometimes. But then again, where is the hurry the stress? Digging your heels and chucking out damn good food. Proving the hyper-critical dining crowd wrong by showing them food they can't find anywhere else. I still need that ideal life. That life of study and intense practice in technique; however that is all lost without the daily slam and grind, the daily trial by fire to validate the skills.

No comments: